Friday, March 13, 2009

Mindset

I wonder what Bernie Madoff is thinking right now. I wonder how it must feel to know that you will never see the light of day again. How do you mentally prepare yourself for that. I have a few friends that are in or have been to prison and they all have said that you take each day as if comes and you don't really think to far ahead. I can't imagine what that is like. I spent all of nine hours in a jail in Atlanta due to an error on the part of the MVA. I was going crazy in the nine hours that I was in there. I can't imagine what it would be like to spend the rest of my life in there. Especially someone like Madoff who has been living the high life for some time now. I would have to guess that the first week you are adjusting to things. I assume you could compare it to the first week at a new job. (Kind of) You look at how others operate and look at what to do and what not to do. But after that first week it has to feel like the walls are closing in everyday. An old associate of mine who spent 10 years in federal prison told me that he spent 5 of those years in the hole and he really got in touch with himself. He said it was because of that time in the hole that he made the decision to turn his life around when he got out. He now owns his own business and is doing well. The difference in that case was that he knew that he was going to inventually get out. What if you never are getting out? This is why I live on the straight and narrow. I really don't ever want to have to worry about doing anything to risk my freedom. I enjoy it to much.

No comments:

Post a Comment