Thursday, February 19, 2009

Black actors

There was an article on CNN today that discusses the issues that black actors have when it comes to winning Oscars. The article seems to suggest that the some of the issues that arise may be in that the Oscars have difficulty relating to certain black themed movies. The movie that was referenced in the article was Dreamgirls. Now, while I am not a huge fan of the movie Dreamgirls, I think good acting is good acting. Being able to relate to a movie has nothing to do with an Oscar. It has to do with the quality of the movie. One of the better movies that I have seen is Mystic River with Sean Pean. I can't relate one bit to that movie but the acting portrayed by Sean Penn in that movie is superb. Even Phillip Seymore Hoffman is Capote was amazing and that movie was all over the place. I think one may argue the point that they are not enough of a variety in movies with the majority of black actors. From my standpoint I am seeing more of the same. I am seeing movies like the Tyler Perry movies or it goes in the direction of a slap stick comedy. Why can't we see more movie like Cooley High or Akeelah and the Bee. I even challenge one to go see The Last King of Scotland. That is a movie that demands an Oscar. Look at the passion in Forest Whitakers' character. I will even go as far as to say that Training Day in which Denzel won an Oscar for went outside of the box. It was a movie that sucked you in and there was no question in the quality of the acting. I think when people make complaints about not getting enough Oscar nods in with movies with mostly black actors they need to look at the quality of the movies. Someone like Tyler Perry, even though he serves his market well, will never be in the running for an Oscar. There need to be more movies in our community that challenge the viewer. Don't assume that all of the black community is one way. Allow a variety and go outside the box and watch what happens. Then you can have a leg to stand on as far as the Oscar's go......

1 comment:

  1. I agree but I think the bigger issue is that movies that are of quality do not get financing. Look at the quality of the earlier Spike Lee movies. Nobody wanted to give him a chance. So there are quality movies out there, they just don't make it to the larger audience.

    ReplyDelete