Saturday, February 7, 2009

Saturday Rambling

I know I am two years late but I watched Akeelah and the Bee last night with my wife. I must say that the movie is a good one although somewhat predictable. What this film did do for me was bring home the point of it takes a village to raise a child. There was a line in the movie from Angela Bassett that stated that Akeelah had 50 teachers alluding to the fact that everyone in her neighborhood had a hand in teacher her. I realize that this is something that is lost in our community. We have really found ourselves in a comfortable place where we feel as if since we have it, or are working towards it, that it is all about ourselves and no one else. We need to understand that in doing that, there is a possibility that we could be ingnoring someone that may be begging for help in their own way. This movie really made me think about what I can do to lend a hand in my own way. I read an article recently from a high school teacher in Prince George's County schools who shared that many of her students just really need someone to love and mentor them. Her view is that if these students have those things as a constant, than sky is the limit. I concur 500 percent with this view and I am going to put forth a strong effort in way I can.

CNN spent about 5 minutes discussing Obama's date night last night. Apparently our President took his beautiful wife out to the Kennedy Center last night to see the legendary Alvin Ailey Dance Company. It was a wonderful thing to just see the couple out together smiling and enjoying each other's company. CNN interviewed some people outside of the Kennedy Center and many people made the comment about how good it is to see the President still being able have fun with his wife. How wonderful is it to see the "leader of the free world" out and about on a Friday night and follow that up with a weekend with his kids as well in Camp David. It makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment