Thursday, February 12, 2009

Industry shortcomings

When is going to be about the music again?? What happened to artists being concerned about making great music more than making a buzz in a negative way. I consider myself a person who really knows about various forms of music and what I am seeing in the hip hop world is getting a little out of control. When I read interviews from these artists in magazines or online I rarely read questions about the music process, or where they are trying to take the art. I only hear about what this person has to say about that person, or how this is like this or this is like that. It needs to be about the music. It also seems as if the artists that are focused on just the music don't get enough shine at all. I am a fan of the Roots and I have never heard an interview with Black Thought or ?uest where they were asked about conflicts in the hip hop world. The conversation always revolved around the music process and how they study their craft. This is what we need right to keep the real hip hop music afloat. Find the artist that is just worried about making good music. Find the artist that is not concerned about sales at all. When you go into anything thinking about sales and money you heart tends to not really be in it. If it is your passion it is going to show.

Since I am on the talk of music I am going to drag my brother Rashad into this. Let me say for the record that I love my brother with all my heart and I respect his opinion on music 99.9 percent of the time. Let's talk about this the other little percentage. For the last six years now I have been trying to get my brother to listen and appreciate a certain artist. I am not going to say the artists name(Are you in the mood yet) but anyone that knows me knows who this artists is. I constantly play this semi-underground artists and try with a vengeance to get everyone around me to like him as well. I have sent my brother numerous songs from this person and he still does not give it up. I don't know what else I can do. My brother respcts his writing skills but not his overall music. I am still on a mission to get him to like this person. All things in due time.

790 billion and counting. We will see if makes it to the Oval Office at this amount.

1 comment:

  1. There are plenty of artists who I respect, but don't like. Carrie Underwood, Celine Dion and yes Joe Buddens. That doesn't make me a bad person my friend.

    ReplyDelete