Friday, February 27, 2009

Ways of Living

Why are people in this day and time still living way beyond their means.? I am seeing so many of my friends and associates still buying expensive cars, clothes, etc and not thinking long term. Some of these people have children. Where is the focus on saving for the future? Why is there a need to have a brand new car that you can barely afford. I just don't understand it. I used to get asked a lot why I drive a Toyota Corolla and I always respond that it is a good car that is excellent on gas. Don't get me wrong, I would love a new German car but what is my motivation. I am a 30 year old married man with a 2 year old son. I am thinking in a very practical manner. I have clients that live in apartments with $700 car notes. Why??? Priorities people. That same money that you spend on a that expensive car can go into a 529 plan for college for your kids. . Or it can go into a rainy day fund. I know my wife and I are working toward being debt free very soon. I don't know if having our son made us this way but it is something that is constantly on our minds. I try to to talk to people that come in my office and advise them of how to save money right now. Certain things can wait. One of my old clients who is a stock trader gave me some very good advice last year. He told that if you can't buy something twice you do not need it. This is how he goes into every purchase from a house to an television. He pays everything in cash. This is where I strive to be.

This morning on the radio I heard Purple Rain by Prince. This song is the epitome of good music. It reminds me of when I was growing up and we as a family played record almost every Saturday night. My father back then was always buying albums and playing them in the family room. These albums ranged from Purple Rain to Terrence Trent Darby(I am can't get that song out of my head Rashad), the Temps, to Kool Moe Dee. Even my brother back in the day would be in his room playing all types of music and would have me in there. This was back when you would try to catch songs on the radio and tape them. I still remember when my dad bought home the How you like me know record and played it to death. I used to look at him like he was crazy but it was indeed good times. I wonder how my son will look back on times like this. Normally on Saturday morning I blast music (censored music of course) from my itunes and he will sit with me and do his two step. (Okay, the two-step part was a stretch but he still dances)
I hope he treasures it when he gets older as I do.

1 comment:

  1. So finish this Purple Rain lyric for me:

    "You say you wanna leader, but you can't seem to make up your mind...

    ReplyDelete