Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Diversity

Is there an advantage to living in a diverse neighborhood? Is there an advantage to living around people who are just like you? I had a conversation at work with someone who stated that he is comfortable living where he is living due to everyone around him is just like him. He stated to me that he loves living in PG county for that reason and has no desire to live anywhere else. I stated to him that I really would be happier in a more diverse area at this point in my life. I enjoy that I can be surrounded by people from many different backgrounds. I think it leaves you open-minded and it sets up a situation where you are constantly learning. This person told me that he thinks I don't love my culture because I take this stance. I totally disagree. I love everything about my people and where I currently reside, but I also appreciate diversity. My wife and I are looking for a house right now and this is one of the things that I am looking into. I want to be able to go outside of my house and see people from various backgrounds. I want my son to be able to interact with a wide variety of people. I don't think that it asking to much. I appreciate my co-workers point of view but I consider myself extremely open minded on this subject. I think that I can have a household where we are very in tuned to our culture but have an open ear to diversity as well. At least this is what we are going to strive for. Maybe I am putting to much thought into this.

It is a very eerie feeling when you feel as if something big is going to happen but you just don't know what it is. I have been feeling for the last two weeks that something big is about to happen in my life and I am really nervous about what it is. My gut is telling me that the something big is going to be something positive but it still has me a little on edge. I guess the only thing I can do is pray about it and not think about it too much. The last time I had this feeling I relocated back to the DC area and things are going very well. I feel as if I am being pulled in a certain direction. I really can't explain it but some of the contacts that have resurfaced all are pointing to one thing. We will see how it goes. Where is the theme music when you need it?

1 comment:

  1. This is like the HBCU vs the non-HBCU argument. And as long as your foundation is solid and strong, there is nothing wrong with peppering in a little diversity. It keeps you fair and balanced.

    ReplyDelete